County Durham is a county in Northeast England. The county town is a cathedral city, Durham. The payoff is Darlington accompanied closely by Hartlepool and Stockton on tees. It boundaries Tyne and Wear to the northwest coast, Northumberland to the northwest, Cumbria into the west and north Yorkshire to the Southwest. The county’s borders are developing between the rivers Tyne and Tees, and places such as Gateshead, Jarrow, Sunderland and South Shields.
UNESCO-designated World Heritage Sites and promoted as a tourist destination are a city of Durham, Durham Castle and Durham Cathedral.
In the middle ages, the county was a religious center, due to the St. Cuthbert’s shrine in Durham Cathedral, and the expanded powers granted to the Bishop of Durham as ruler of the County Durham.
The county of Durham is governed by four unitary government. The county does not have any administrative function but remains the region where the Lord Lieutenant of Durham and the High Sheriff of Durham are all appointed.
County Durham (dominated by Durham County Council): that the unitary district has been formed on 1 April 2009 substituting the prior two-tier system of a county council providing tactical services and seven district councils providing more local centers. It’s 126 councilors.
Chester-le-Street, Lumley, Pelton and Sacriston areas
Derwentside, Consett and Stanley
City of Durham, Durham city and the surrounding areas
Easington, Seaham and the new town of Peterlee
Borough of Sedgefield, Spennymoor and Newton Aycliffe
Teesdale, Barnard Castle and the villages of Teesdale
Wear Valley, Bishop Auckland, Crook, Willington, Hunwick, and the villages along Weardale
Back in AD 604, Ida’s grandson Æthelfrith forcibly merged Bernicia (dominated by Bamburgh) and Deira (dominated by York, that had been famous as Eforwic during that time) to produce the Kingdom of Northumbria. With time, the kingdom was expanded, chiefly through war and conquest; in its summit, the kingdom stretched from the river Humber (from that the kingdom attracted its title ) into the Forth. Finally, factional fighting and also the power of Arabian kingdoms Mercia, directed to Northumbria’s decline. The coming of the Vikings quickened this decline, and also the Scandinavian raiders finally asserted the Deiran region of the realm in AD 867 (that eventually became Jórvík). The land which could eventually become County Durham currently sat on the boundary with all the Great Heathen Army, a boundary that now still (albeit with some alterations through time ) forms the bounds between Yorkshire and County Durham.
Despite their victory southwest of the river, the Vikings never completely defeated the Bernician portion of Northumbria, in spite of the countless raids they’d hauled on the realm. But, Viking management within the Danelaw, the central port of Anglosaxon land, led to Northumbria becoming isolated by the rest of Anglosaxon Britain. Scots invasions from the north pushed the kingdom’s northern border straight back into the River Tweed, and the kingdom saw itself reduced to some helpless earldom, its own borders close to people of modern-day Northumberland and County Durham. The kingdom has annexed into England at AD 954.
Durham City Founded
Back in AD 995, St Cuthbert’s community, who’d previously exporting Cuthbert’s remains near around, partially in an effort to avoid them falling in to the hands of Viking raiders, located at Dunholm (Durham) onto a website which has been favourable due into this horseshoe-like course of the River Spray. St Cuthbert’s remains were placed at a shrine at the White Church, that had been a wooden structure however was fortified to a rock construction.
Once the county Durham founded, the Bishops of Durham gradually gained the lands which could eventually become County Durham. Bishop Aldhun began this technique by procuring land at the Tees and Spray Mountains, such as Norton, Stockton, Escomb and Aucklandshire in 1018. Back in 1031, Staindrop was given by King Canute to the Bishops. This land continued to expand and in the end given the status of a freedom. Under the control of the Bishops of Durham, the land needed different titles: the”Liberty of Durham,” “Liberty of St Cuthbert’s Land” “the lands of St Cuthbert between Tyne and Tees” or even that “the Liberty of Haliwerfolc”
On 21 November 2013, County Durham registered it’s own Flag.
The Borders of County Durham Comprised a body covering the catchment of the Pennines from the west, the River Tees from the southWest, the North Sea from the east and the Rivers Tyne and Derwent from the northWest. The county palatinate also had several liberties: the Bedlingtonshire, Islandshire and Norhamshire exclaves within Northumberland, and also the exclave inside the North Riding of Yorkshire. In 1831 the county insured a region of 679,530 acres (2,750.0 km2) and also had a population of 253,910. All these exclaves were contained as a member of this county for parliamentary electoral intentions until 1832, and for legislative and local government purposes before the coming to force of their state (Detached Parts) Act 1844, that united most staying exclaves using their neighboring continent. The bounds of this county proper remained used for both administrative and ceremonial purposes.
Until the 15th Century
Probably the very crucial officer at the Palatinate was that the steward in the 15th century. Other officers contained that the sheriff’s coroners, the Chamberlain and the chancellor. The exchequer started from the 12th century. The assembly reflected the county, and dealt with questions. Even the bishop’s council, comprising of their clergy, both the juvenile and the barons, regulated affairs, and later produced the Chancery and also the Chairman of Admiralty and Marshalsea.
The former of Durham ranked first on the list of bishop’s barons. He had his court and nearly exclusive jurisdiction over his men. You will find ten palatinate barons from the 12th century, many significantly the Hyltons of Hylton Castle, the Bulmers of Brancepeth, the Conyers of both Sockburne, the Hansards of Evenwood, and also the Lumleys of Lumley Castle. The Nevilles possessed large estates in the county. John Neville, 3rd Baron Neville de Raby reconstructed Raby Castle, their major seat, about in 1377.
The Municipal Corporations Act 1835 reformed the municipal boroughs of Durham, Stockton on Tees and Sunderland. In 1875, Jarrow was incorporated as a municipal borough, as was West Hartlepool in 1887. At a county level, the Local Government Act 1888 reorganised local government throughout England and Wales. Most of the county came under control of the newly-formed Durham County Council in an area known as an administrative county. Not included were the county boroughs of Gateshead, South Shields and Sunderland. However, for purposes other than local government, the administrative county of Durham and the county boroughs continued to form a single county to which the Crown appointed a Lord Lieutenant of Durham.
At the 2001 Census, Easington and Derwentside districts had the maximum percentage (approximately 99 percent ) from the county council part of the resident population that was born in the united kingdom. 13.2percent of the county area’s residents rate their health as not high, but the maximum percentage in England.
This table indicates the historical populace of this present remit of Durham County Council between 1801 and 2001.
County Durham has long been associated with coal mining, from medieval times up to the late 20th century. The County Durham Coalfield covered a large area of the county, from Bishop Auckland to Consett, to the River Tyne and below the North Sea, thereby providing a significant expanse of territory from which this precious mineral resource could be extracted.
King Stephen owned a mine at Durham, he awarded to Bishop Pudsey, and at the same century, colliers cited at Coundon, Bishopwearmouth, and Sedgefield. Cockfield Fell has been among the first Lansdale collieries in Durham. Richard II gave for the inhabitants of Durham permit to export the produce of their plantations, the bulk hauled from the Port of Sunderland complex that assembled in the 1850s.
Currently, lesser than 1% of the residents work in agriculture: The total number of the population working in agriculture fell from around 5.5% in 1851 to 1% in 1951. There were 15,211 people employed in coal mining in 1841, rising to a peak of 156,797 in 1921.
|1995 (Source Wikipedia)||2000||2004|
|Agriculture, hunting and forestry||45||33||48|
|Industry, including energy |
Some of the famous Places to visit
Durham Cathedral and Castle
Durham Light Infantry Museum
We will continue to update the places, stay-tuned …